PENGARUH MODA TRANSPORTASI BERBASIS APLIKASI TERHADAP PILIHAN MASYARAKAT DALAM MENENTUKAN MODA TRANSPORTASI DAN DAMPAKNYA TERHADAP PENDAPATAN DRIVER OJEK ONLINE

Sugiyarto Sugiyarto, Desilia Purnama Dewi, Edi Junaedi

Abstract


Changes in technology are very fast, ultimately making public transport business competition tougher and demanding the creativity of business actors. The presence of an application-based transportation mode has finally become the community's choice and shifts conventional transportation service providers. With a variety of conveniences including costs that are already known at the beginning of the order, making people feel comfortable with the services provided, then provides options for the public in using transportation services and provides income changes for online transportation-based motorcycle taxi drivers.This study aims to examine the direct impact of the presence of application-based modes of transportation that can change people's choices to switch from conventional modes of transportation to application-based modes of transportation and to determine the impact of changes in community choices on driver income. This research method uses quantitative methods, namely research methods based on the philosophy of positivism. The sampling technique was carried out randomly from the population. The data was collected by using a research instrument with a questionnaire distributed to respondents. This research uses path analysis test.Application-based mode of transportation (X) has a significant influence on people's choice in determining the mode of transportation (Y), is 27.1%, the remaining 72.9% is influenced by other variables. Variables X and Y have a significant effect on the income of online motorcycle taxi drivers (Z). While the coefficients (R Square) were 0.334 or 33.4%,this means that the influence of the application-based mode of transportation variable through the choice of the community in determining the mode of transportation on the income of online motorcycle taxi drivers is 33.4%, the remaining 66.6% is influenced by other variables not included in the study.The importance of upgrading technology so that the online motorcycle taxi application will further improve driver performance, increase consumer satisfaction and this mode of transportation is always the people's choice.

Keywords: Mode of Transportation, Civil Preference, Driver's Income

Full Text:

PDF

References


Amajida, F. D. (2016). Kreativitas Digital dalam Masyarakat Risiko Perkotaan: Studi tentang Ojek Online “GO-JEK” di Jakarta. INFORM, 46(1), 115-128.

Anindhita, W., Arisanty, M., & Rahmawati, D. (2016). Analisis Penerapan Teknologi Komunikasi Tepat Guna pada Bisnis Transportasi Ojek Online (Studi pada Bisnis Gojek dan Grab Bike dalam Penggunaan Teknologi Komuniasi Tepat Guna untuk Mengembangkan Bisnis Transportasi). Prosiding Seminar Nasional INDOCOMPAC (pp. 712-729). Jakarta: Universitas Bakrie.

Annur, C. M. (2019, Maret 22). Rata-rata Penghasilan Mitra Gojek Lebihi Upah Minimum, Ada yang Belum. Retrieved Juni 6, 2020, from Katadata: https://katadata.co.id/pingitfajrin/digital/5e9a551417abd/rata-rata-penghasilan-mitra-gojek-lebihi-upah-minimum-ada-yang-belum

Choirul Marati, N. (2016). Pengaruh Kualitas Layanan dan Harga terhadap Kepuasan Pelanggan Jasa Transportasi Ojek Online (Studi pada Konsumen Gojek di Surabaya). Jurnal Pendidikan Tata Niaga (JPTN), 4(3).

Ernawati. (2018). Hubungan antara Kepuasan Kerja dengan SUBJECTIVE Well-Being (SWB) pada Pengemudi Ojek Online di Kota Semarang. Fakultas Ilmu Pendidikan. Universitas Negeri Semarang.

Fatimah, S. (2019). Pengantar Transportasi. Ponorogo: Myria Publisher.

Gojek. (2020). Semangat baru Gojek. Retrieved Juni 6, 2020, from Tentang Kami: https://www.gojek.com/about/

Haryantini. (2019). Pengaruh Citra Merek dan Promosi Terhadap Loyalitas Pelanggan Go-Jek di Stasiun Depok Jawa Barat. Jurnal Pemasaran Kompetitif, 3(1), 45-53.

Husain, T. (2019). An Analysis of Modeling Audit Quality Measurement Based on Decision Support Systems (DSS). European Journal of Scientific Exploration, 2(6), 1-9.

Husain, T., & Sani, A. (2020). Kepuasan Pelanggan Toko Online Yang Dipengaruhi Kualitas Produk Dan Layanan. JITK (Jurnal Ilmu Pengetahuan dan Teknologi Komputer), 5(2), 291-296.

Mangkunegara, A. A. (2017). Manajemen Sumber Daya Manusia. Bandung: Remaja Rosdakarya.

Mulyani, A. (2018). Analisis Penerimaan dan Penggunaan Teknologi Aplikasi Ojek Online Menggunakan Unified Theory of Acceptance and Use Technology. Jurnal Algoritma, 15(12), 61-66.

Nizar, N. I. (2019). Analisis Tingkat Kepuasan Pelanggan terhadap Model Bisnis Platform Ojek Online. Jurnal Mandiri: Ilmu Pengetahuan, Seni, Dan Teknologi, 3(1).

Pandesolang, Y. C. (2014). Landasan Konseptual Perencanaan dan Perancangan Pengembangan Stasiun Kereta Api Tanjung Karang di Lampung. Fakultas Teknik. Universitas Atma Jaya Yogyakarta.

Paramadita, S., Umar, A., & Kurniawan, Y. J. (2020). Analisa PESTEL terhadap Penetrasi Gojek di Indonesia. Jurnal Pengabdian dan Kewirausahaan, 4(1), 37-49.

Parasuraman, A. Z. (1998). SERVQUAL: A Multiple-Item Scale For Measuring Consumer Perceptions of Service Quality. Journal of Retailing, 64(Spring).

Sambuaga, R. R. (2016). Manajemen Penanggulangan Kemacetan Transportasi Publik Di Dinas Perhubungan Kota Manado. 1(24).

Septanto, H. (2016). Ekonomi Kreatif dan Inovatif Berbasis TIK ala Gojek dan Grabbike. Bina Insani ICT Journal, 3(1), 213-219.

Sugiyono. (2018). Metode Penelitian Evaluasi: Pendekatan Kuantitatif, Kualitatif, dan Kombinasi. Bandung: CV. Alfabeta.

Supranto, J., & Limakrisna, N. (2019). Petunjuk Praktis Penelitian Ilmiah untuk Menyusun Skripsi, Tesis dan Disertasi (5 ed.). Bogor: Penerbit Mitra Wacana Media.

Yoshanda, A. A. (2020). Pendapatan Nasional. Surabaya: FT Universitas Muhammadiyah Sidoarjo.


DOI: 10.24127/jm.v14i2.492

Article Metrics

Abstract view : 358 times
PDF - 215 times

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.


This journal has been indexed by:


View DERIVATIF Stats